Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Orange Chicken with Vegetable Stir Fry

I don't know about any of you but since the holiday season has begun, I have indulged a little too much in Halloween candy. I made this recipe last night for my family to help off set the holiday sweets that I have eaten and hopefully keep the chub on my thighs at bay. This recipe is a wonderful one to add to your cookbook especially when you have indulged like I have and want to put something good into your body instead of junk. I love that this recipe uses several vegetables: carrots, red onions, celery, green peppers, and red peppers. The vegetables combined with chicken is a wonderful combination when mixed with the savory orange sauce served over brown rice. I have to admit too, that their is no fighting at my dinner table when I serve this dish because my kids can't get enough of this Orange chicken. What is even better is that it made so much that my little family of four will be eating it again tonight as left overs!! Hurray for leftovers!

Orange Chicken with Vegetable Stir Fry
Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
3/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 TBS Olive Oil
5 large carrots
1 onion, I used a red onion and loved it
2 bell peppers, your choice between green, yellow or red.
6 stalks of celery
Salt and Pepper

Sauce:
3/4 c. Fresh Orange Juice
1/2 c. Brown Sugar
1/4 c. Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp. ginger
2 t. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
A couple pinch of red pepper flakes
2 TBS. Cornstarch
1 c. chicken broth

Directions:
Cut chicken breasts into 2 inch cubes. Combine the flour and 1/4 tsp salt into a bowl. Add chicken and combine until all the chicken is covered in the flour mixture. Heat up a large skillet. When skillet is nice and hot add 2 T. oil and then add chicken. Stir fry until chicken is cooked through and lightly brown. When your chicken is cooked through and lightly brown. Remove from skillet onto plate. Now add another 1T. of oil to skillet, add your veggies and cook until tender crisp about 10 minutes. While veggies are cooking, add all ingredients for the sauce in a sauce pan. Whisk ingredients together until they are well combined. Bring to a boil. Once it is boiling it will thicken up for you, it may take between 5-10 minutes for it to do this. Stir every so often so it won't burn. Once sauce is nice and thick pour it over your veggies and chicken. Combine until sauce coats both chicken and vegetables. Serve with white or brown rice!

I

Ashlee, The Culinary Queen

2 comments:

  1. An amazing dish!! Made it last night and my family loved it!! They ate it all :) I love any healthy spin on Chinese food...keep the great recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents are in town & we made this tonight. Everyone loved it! My mom said she could eat that sauce with anything :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments. I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...